Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tribulations of the YaYa

So, on a happier and more pleasant note...looking to the future is what I am going to do...I will daily give blessings for the wonderful people I have met on Facebook who have encouraged me on this journey called life.  But I digress. I have a mare that is supremely talented. With major issues residing within her from previous training. And because of my attempts to fix her...I sometimes cause more angst than calm.  My riding now has become almost but not quite very, very good. So, in the world of Connie and my way of thinking is that if I am riding correctly, fairly and gently it stood to reason she should give up her tension~ oh, be joyful my beating heart!  But it wasn't to be. And so I would quit and look for other venues for us to attempt  and make excuses as to why this lovely, talented mare just couldn't do it.  Sigh.

Then yesterday...a thought occurred and it was validated by my dear friend and trainer...what if it didn't matter how well I rode..how correct I was... or how badly I wanted this to be the perfect relationship!! My changing my habits and position still meant nothing to YaYa. She knows what she knows. From years of conditioning. So, it occurred to me that its my turn to be her teacher. To not just be the beautiful rider on the hot horse. Its my turn to give her direction ~ to show her a new way of thinking. Me being different for better or worse doesn't mean she will automatically be able to understand what I want from her. Granted, I'm pretty certain she loves the new me....I ride with empathy, softness and as much quietness as I can muster.  But she still doesn't know that her trotting like a hackney on steroids is  not the answer I am looking for. And I don't want to stifle her amazing desire to try to do what she knows. I simply want to reshape her energy.  Now its my turn to help her find that same softness, trust and fluidity that I am developing.  Its all about the certainty of acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment